Wednesday, December 21, 2005

I'm dreaming of a brown christmas........

What a pleasure it was to listen to the dulcet tones of Beefy, Bumble & even dare I say R.G.D Willis this evening - yes I have discovered that, with precisely Zero more games to go on this tour , England v Pakistan is available on PPV over here! Oh well I fully expect the England v India games to be shown as there is a huge Indian population in Canada. So with Father Ted on nightly, (there's even a Father Ted-athon on New Years Day), regular showings of Charlton's dismal efforts on a weekend morning & now Freddy Flintoff live & direct - I am a happy man.

Calgary is experiencing one of it's regular chinooks at the moment & down in the City folks will be preparing for a brown christmas with any snow long since melted, up here in the mounatins we will have snow on the ground on the 25th - but in the 2 months we have now been here it has only seriously snowed twice & even then it wasn't that much. Worrying for the ski resorts i guess as the only snow is coming from the snow cannons, which is great if you enjoy ski-ing on pulverised ice.

I was delighted to see the plans for drilling in the Alaskan wilderness defeated for the time being - however you just know that when those bastards get the $$ signs in their sights they won't rest until that oil is being pumped out of the ground & the money is lining their filthy pockets.

The No. 6 track in my end of year list comes from the Calexico/Iron & Wine joint LP released in the summer - here we have two great bands, although quite different stylistically, fusing together into a seamless & joyous one. Calexico have always been a favoutrite of mine & I have seen them many, many times aroudn London & even once in Chicago. Iron & Wine I know a little less about - or rather I haven't lsitened to them as much, because I still enjoy & admire Sam Beam's work.

The track here is one of the uplifting numbers from the album.

No.6 Calexico/Iron & Wine - A History of Lovers

No comments: