Friday, November 18, 2005

chocolate & cranberries.......

I bought a Chocolate & Cranberry Sourdough loaf from The Urban Baker in Calgary today, talk about delishusss - the loaf was the colour of cocoa powder & it had more chocolate than your average Cadburys bar - I had to exercise sterling self control not to wolf it down in one. Sometimes the flavours are mish mashed beyond redemption in North American cuisine but this was as good a combination as you could hope for. Not sure what sandwich filling I'd put in it though!

I realise after yesterdays photofest of cool scenery & blue skies that I should redress the balance a bit & list some things that aren't as good over here as in the UK, the list could actually be a really long one but here's some ideas...

Dumb-ass Trucks & SUV's - I'm tired of seeing ridiculous gas guzzling SUV's & Trucks, usually the size of army tanks - cruising through the City streets. You hear about the ice caps melting & then see some baseball be-capped, slack jawed chav driving one of these things & all faith in humanity is lost. Why? Why? Why?

Radio - god the radio over here sucks, if I hear Billy Joel, REO Speedwagon or Huey Lewis one more time I will buy a SUV. Daytime radio is stuck in a timewarp where Bonnie Tyler is cutting edge & the DJ's probably look to The Hairy Cornflake for inspiration.

Sport - Ice Hockey is just about OK, but American Football & Basketball - aaaaaaaarggggghhhhhhhhh!! I do miss Radio 5 Live & Sky Sports (even though you can get both on the internet)

Coffee - I have yet to have a really good coffee from a coffee shop here in Alberta, Vancouver no problems - but over here they seem upset if you don't dump half a tonne of sickly hazlenut or vanilla syrup into a freshly brewed latte.

I'm sure I can rectify the above & (a). understand why it is you need a truck the size of a double decker bus to get your groceries on a weekend (b). learn to appreciate the finer points of Men At Work's back catalogue (c). enjoy the 5 minutes of action & 6 hours of analysis that seems to be a "Football" game & (d). savour the flavour of hazlenuts & sugar, sugar & more sugar with my morning coffee.

Or maybe not. Who knows.

Tune of the day - Gravenhurst - Cities Beneath the Sea

1 comment:

Ric said...

For coffeee go to Brazil ...